In this tutorial I show you how to transfer the management of your domain from GoDaddy to Google Domains. Transferring your domain doesn’t require any technical knowledge and takes less than 10 minutes to complete.
Introduction: Why I Switched to Google Domains
There are three reasons why I decided to transfer all of my domains from GoDaddy to Google:
- Google Domains makes domains private for free. GoDaddy charges you for this. Making your domain private is important because people can use a Whois lookup tool to find personal information like your address and phone number if it’s public.
- Google Domains is user-friendly. The control panel is minimalistic and settings are easy to adjust. Unlike GoDaddy, Google Domains focuses on one thing – domain management – and doesn’t complicate things by trying to sell you features you don’t need.
- Google is a forward-thinking company. In addition to offering the general public free cloud storage (Google Drive), Google also helps make the web faster and more secure through ongoing research and experimentation.
Tutorial: 10-Minute Switch from GoDaddy Domains to Google Domains
To complete the switch you can follow my video tutorial or step-by-step written tutorial below.
If you find yourself lost at any time during this tutorial you can contact Google Domains or call GoDaddy at (480) 505-8877. You can also check out Google Domain’s tutorials and GoDaddy’s domain-related tutorials.
- Go to https://domains.google/ and click Manage My Domains:
- Select the Transfer in tab in the left panel and enter your domain into the search bar. Then click Continue:
- Go to the Google Domains contact us page. Click the Chat with us link:
- When the support agent asks how they can help you, copy/paste the following into the chat box:
Hi. I’m trying to transfer my domain from GoDaddy to Google Domains. Your system is saying that I’m able to transfer the domain but need to contact support. I believe something needs parsed. May you complete the parsing process for [enter your domain]?
- After the parsing process is complete, log in to your GoDaddy account.
- Click on the Manage tab next in the Domains row:
- Find the box designated for the domain you’re transferring. Click on the settings/gear icon and select the Domain settings option:
- Scroll to the Additional Settings section at the bottom of the page. Click the Edit link next to the Domain lock option.
If your domain is locked you’ll see a green bar.
- Click the green bar. It will turn gray and the you will see Domain lock option turn to Off:
You will receive an email from GoDaddy that looks like this:
- Go back to the Transfer in page on Google Domains.
If you left the tab open, refresh the page by clicking the My domains tab in the left panel. Now click the Transfer in tab again.
- Enter your domain into the search bar. You should see this:
If the b circle is not green, make your contact info public. After you do this, repeat Step 11.
- Go back to the Additional Settings section in GoDaddy. Click on the Authorization Code link in the right column.
You will receive an email that looks like this:
<img src="http://robertgibb.me/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/godaddy-google-domains-10-1.png" alt="Authorization code email sent by GoDaddy"
- Go back to your Google Domains browser tab. Enter the authorization code into the Authorization code box next to the d circle:
<img src="http://robertgibb.me/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/godaddy-google-domains-11-1.png" alt="Authorization code box in the Google Domains transfer dashboard"
- Click Accept and proceed.
- A second step will appear asking you how Google Domains should configure your domain:
Don’t change the selected option. Just click Accept and proceed.
- A third and final step will appear asking you to confirm the transfer and the charges:
- A popup will appear asking for your name, address, and other information. Enter your information and select the option that says Make my info private. Then click Continue:
As mentioned in the introduction of this tutorial, selecting this option will hide your personal information from the public.
- Another popup will appear asking for payment info. Enter payment info then click Buy.
- You will receive an email from Google asking you to confirm the transfer. At the bottom of the email, click Confirm Transfer.
After this you’ll be directed to a page asking you to confirm the transfer yet again. Click the Transfer button.
If you’re greeted with a message that looks like this…
…proceed to Step 6. But if you’re greeted with a message that says you need to contact Google’s support team, proceed to Step 3.
At this point you’ve done everything you can. Now it’s on GoDaddy to release your domain to Google Domains. According to Google, this can take up to five days.